Application Deadline: October 15th (Fall) and March 1 (Spring)
Each year the Southeast Asia Programming and Grants Committee allocates money to be used to reduce the cost of travel to Southeast Asian countries by University faculty members, for research. These funds may be used to cover part or all of the cost of airfare between Charlottesville and a Southeast Asian country, as well as program fees, reasonable accomodations, and research-related transportation within Southeast Asia.
- The Nelson Scholars Program for Southeast Asian Studies is available to any University of Virginia faculty member who intends to spend at least two weeks in Southeast Asia pursuing research.
- Recipients must agree to be in residence at the University during the subsequent academic year.
- Recipients must agree to share with the University community knowledge and experience acquired in Southeast Asia through lectures, colloquia, seminars, media presentations, etc.
- Recipients must agree to provide service (such as serving on committees) to the Center when called upon to do so; failing to do so may jeopardize future access to Center grants.
Travel Grant Awards
Applicants intending to spend a minimum of two weeks in Southeast Asia under the conditions outlined herein may apply for a travel grant.
Students and faculty members may apply for up to full round-trip airfare regardless of length of stay in Southeast Asia, provided the trip has a sound and genuine professional or academic purpose (i.e. to attend a professional conference, to conduct research that can only be conducted in Southeast Asia, etc.)
Travel grant applications shall be judged according to the selection committee's assessment of the quality of the applicant and the intellectual and academic cohesiveness of the applicant's project. Preference shall be given to applicants who have not received a grant within the past year, who have not recently been to Southeast Asia, and to projects ranked in the following order of priority:
- research, language and cultural study;
- participation in study tours;
- participation in conferences.
Specific award amounts will be based on the availability of funds and the cost to participate. No single travel grant shall exceed one-third of available funds, and normally no more than half of the available funds shall be allocated to faculty members.
Please complete the application form here.